Players with an active subscription or game time on their World of Warcraft account can create up to three characters per WoW account before WoW Classic releases worldwide on Tuesday, August 27 at 6:00 a.m. (GMT +8).
When you reserve a name, you’ll also choose the realm you will play that character on. There are a few additional things to keep in mind as you make your choice:
– Players who choose to play on a PvP realm will only be able to create characters within the same faction. This means that if you create an Alliance character, all further characters on that realm must also be Alliance characters.
– After WoW Classic is live, you’ll be able to create up to 10 characters on any given realm and can create a maximum of 50 characters across all WoW Classic realms. This character count does not impact the number of characters you can create on the current World of Warcraft realms.
– Characters that were created for the WoW Classic beta or stress tests will not be available to use in WoW Classic.
To create a character and play WoW Classic, you will need to download and install the client first. WoW Classic is free for players who already have an active paid subscription.
True to how most would recall WoW to be 13 years ago, there are multiple server types for players to choose from depending on how immersed they’d like to get. Just remember to choose carefully, as each server type has a distinct play style.
– Normal: This realm type is best for those who don’t want to take part in open world PvP. All zones are considered contested except for enemy faction cities, in which players will be automatically flagged for PvP. Players won’t be able to attack each other in contested areas unless they flag themselves for PvP with the command /PvP.
– PvP (Player vs. Player): This realm type allows for open world PvP in all areas except for designated “safe” or sanctuary areas, such as the starting zones where new players begin.
– RP (Role-Play): This realm type is best for those who wish to take part in role-play with others. This realm type uses the Normal ruleset and does not have open world PvP.
– RP PvP (Role-play Player vs. Player): RP PvP realms are for role-players who prefer the ruleset of PvP realms—expect open combat in contested areas.
If you’re headed to the RP or RP PVP realms, keep in mind that names must adhere to Blizzard’s Code of Conduct, and also must avoid being disruptive to the world. For example:
– Non-medieval or non-fantasy names (For example: Slipnslide, Robotman, Technotron)
– Names that reference well known people, characters, brands, places, or icons (For example: Britneyspears, Austinpowers, Mcdonalds, Georgewashington, Newyork)
– Names that consist of multiple words (For example: Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy)
Blizzard reserves the right to assign a random name to any character violating our RP naming policy. For more severe or repeat violations, we may apply additional penalties to the account.
Yeah, so if you’re into role-playing, you better be ready to take it seriously, or be prepared to receive a spanking from Blizzard.